Saturday, June 02, 2007

About fetching the newspaper,

Ayla is 21 months old now. As I wrote in a previous post, she taught herself to fetch the newspaper. Since I thought it was such a neat trick, I always made sure to give her a treat when she did, so for several months she would go and fetch the paper twice a week and get rewarded for it. Then one day when she was about 16 months old, the behavior just disappeared, she would go out and run up to the paper on the ground and didn't seem to remember what to do with it. I thought it was rather interesting. So for about 3 months she didn't bother with the paper anymore at all, then all of a sudden one day as we came back from our walk (she used to fetch the paper prior to our walks), I opened the gate and she ran over to the paper and brought it to me as in "hey, you forgot the paper, here it is". I gave her a treat and for the last two months that's what she did, she brought the paper in after we were done with our walk. Each time I gave her a treat. Then last week, she changed her pattern again, and now she fetches it again when I first open the gate to take the dogs for a walk. What will she think of next?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?