Sunday, March 18, 2007


Snake Encounter,


these pictures are actually already one year old, we had a surprise encounter with this rattlesnake on a rather cool and windy spring day last year. Ayla was happily running around in these sand dunes when all of a sudden I heard the sound of a rattlesnake from the direction that Ayla was. Ayla had never seen a rattlesnake and was trying to figure out where the noise came from.
The second picture shows the disturbed ground to the right of the snake, this is where Ayla's foot came down right next to the snake. I think that maybe this snake had just crawled out of her hiding place and was trying to warm up and that's why Ayla didn't get bitten, as she was certainly within striking range.

I have also come a cross a few sidewinder rattlesnakes and twice I almost stepped on them because they neither made any noise nor did they move away. The ones I have encountered didn't make the same kind of noise as the other rattlesnakes that I have encountered, they sounded more like an insect that was stuck somewhere than a rattlesnake, of course now that I know what they sound like I know what to look for when I hear them.

Comments:
Too close for comfort! :(
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?