Thursday, March 22, 2007


New Building for the Dogs,



so I finally assembled my saws, got a new cordless drill and a few other tools and I went to work. I first build a henhouse for my chickens who should arrive next week, then I put up a shade roof for the dogs. They always hang out on the North side of the house, because there is shade most of the day, so I put the first shade structure there, because in the late afternoon the shade there is getting less now as the sun comes farther around to the West in the afternoon. The roof also serves as a shelter from the rain and as an observation platform. Leydi immediately claimed the roof as hers, while Ayla preferred the space below. The shade roof will need to be painted to match the color of the house, and I think I will put up some trim around the top so it won't look so unfinished, but for now it is functional and that was most important. When we first moved here I really would have liked to have everything in place by the time we moved in, but on the other hand, it really makes a lot more sense to live in a place and then make decisions on where to put additional fences and buildings, because now I can see what kind of shelter the dogs need and where they spend most of their time. In the winter I might build a real dog house to see if anybody will use it. And I think I will try myself in building the porches I want for our sliding doors. Now that I got started building things, I can think of a million things I need. I guess I won't get bored anytime soon.




.

Comments:
Busy busy! Oh, I want to see pics of your chickens when you get them. Are you getting day old chicks or older hens? The dogs look so happy helping you out with the shelter there.

Definitely know what you mean, getting familiar with the lay of everything before you build. It's a start, but I'm sure all of us have things we'd change even afterwards.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?