Wednesday, December 20, 2006


Out for a walk with Leydi
Leydi and I went out for a walk in the nearby desert this afternoon just before sunset. The mountains look so pretty after we got some more snow last Sunday. The first picture shows her telling me to hurry up. She is quite the talker and will make all kinds of funny noises "rerwow" when she gets excited or wants something. In this case she wasn't very patient with me wanting to take pics of her, so she sat down and complained about the holdup.
She is really great to take for a walk, she used to pull and dive after bunnies, so I tried a pinch collar on her as all the yanking was really hurting my joints. I only had to use it one day on a walk. For some reason this made it clear to her that it wasn't a good idea to hit the end of the leash and keep yanking on it. Our walks are very pleasant now and just like Nanuk and Ayla, she is actually very cooperative when I ask to go "this way" or "come" or "sit". Now, none of them will listen if the right (or wrong) distraction shows up, it's just not something one can expect from an independant thinking dog like a livestock guardian dog. So I usually keep them on a leash, as we have plenty of space at home for them to run as much as they want, there is no need when we are out for a walk to actually run. Now Ayla doesn't agree with that and she sometimes gets the crazies and wants to race around and jump over bushes, so sometimes when the crazies get the better of her I let her off the leash for a few minutes until she has enough of the running in circles. Leydi is more dignified and amuses herself with checking out the sights and sounds of the desert.

My beautiful girl with snow covered Mt. Charleston in the background.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?