Wednesday, December 20, 2006


Ayla supervising the placement of a fence post
Ayla is rather curious, so when her new friend Andy dug a hole with the post digging tool she had to investigate what was happening. She is pretty good at digging holes herself, so I think she was curious to check out the competition. But what really sparked her interest was when Andy put the post inside the hole and tried to get it into the right position. She looked at it from every angle trying to figure out what the heck he was putting inside that hole. I wish I knew what she was thinking. Now she had been chewing off a couple of trees that I had planted, so maybe she was considering if this was another tree that possibly would have to be removed by her as it didn't belong here. What really fascinates me about this is that my Simba who sadly passed away last February was just like her. She also was always fascinated whenever I brought home something new, like furniture that needed to be assembled, or a new appliance. None of my other dogs have ever paid that much attention to stuff like that, but Simba did, and now Ayla does the same thing. Recently I got some insulation material for the pump on our well, when Ayla saw me heading out with a bag she tagged along to see what I was up to. She watched intently as I wrapped the fiberglass material around the pumphead and pipes, she got even closer when I put a layer of aluminum insulation tape around the first layer. She was fascinated by it all. As soon as I was done and packed up all my materials, she started to remove the insulation and I realized that it was probably a mistake to let her come along. So I brought her back into the house with me to get her mind off the pump and the insulation. But sure enough, the next day when I was gone for a few hours, she pulled the insulation off some areas that somehow didn't meet her approval. I kind of knew this would happen, so I have now enclosed the whole area with straw bales so Ayla can't mess with my insulation anymore. I think I am trainable though, I am slowly beginning to learn, that if I bring Ayla along to a new project, she will try herself in her own version of the home improvement later, and it may not be what I had in mind for that particular project.
After todays job was done, Ayla propped herself up on the porch to keep an eye on the neighborhood.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?