Friday, October 13, 2006

Leydi the Guardian

As I was sitting on my computer I heard Leydi outside making funny noises. Since she didn't stop right away and it sounded like something wasn't right I went outside to see what she was up to. She was really intently looking at something on the ground, first I thought it was a lizzard, but as I looked closer I realized it was a giant SCORPION!!! Yikes, I had never seen a scorpion in my life, though I know they are quite common here. First thing I did was make sure my little terrier is safely locked up, he is my smallest and most vulnerable to venom dog. The next thing was to get Leydi out of the way, she was not going to let this thing go. Then I got a jar and grabbed my camera to take some pictures of the critter. This guy or maybe it was a girl was about 3 inches long, pretty good size for a scorpion. I did take it to the cooperative extension office in the hope to get an ID. They confirmed that it was a scorpion, and that it probably wasn't a very poisonous one because of the large pinchers. I released this large insect into the desert, hopefully it will live a long and prosperous life there.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?